Simple Things
Simple Things
Over time, I’ve started to realize something simple but powerful: comments matter. Not the kind of comments people leave online, but the words people say to your face that end up staying with you far longer than you’d expect. I’ve had experiences like this that make me feel a little more valued and make my day a lot better.
When I tutor students my main goal is to help them feel confident and help them learn. I explain, I guide, I encourage. I never expect to get anything back from it, I do it purely because I enjoy it. But one day, my student’s mom messaged me saying, “Thank you so much. You really helped my daughter. God bless you.” I read that over and over again. It wasn’t a long message, but it meant the world to me. Many might just overlook it, but it reminded me that I wasn’t just teaching grammar, I was making someone feel seen and supported. It made me feel valuable, like I was a meaningful part of someone’s life, helping them grow wings.
It’s the same at the Cancer Discovery shop where I volunteer. Sometimes customers smile and say things like, “You’re such a joy to talk to” or “Continue doing this.” One time, I overheard a customer tell the manager, “That young volunteer is doing such a wonderful job here, keep her.” I don’t think they knew I heard them, but I did. And honestly, I carried that compliment with me the whole week. It wasn’t just about the words, it was about the feeling behind them. In that moment, I realized that even the little tasks I do, like helping someone find what they need, cashing up their purchase, or simply talking to them while I serve them, can result in ways I don’t always see. That one comment made me feel like I belonged there, like I was part of something bigger than myself. It turned what could have been just another ordinary shift into something meaningful, something I’ll remember. The true reason I enjoy working there is because I get to hear wonderful stories and connect with the customers. Many come to the register to check out but oftentimes I hear their stories. As I rang a lady up, she started telling me about her granddaughter who had just graduated from college. Her eyes lit up with pride, and she spoke with so much joy that I couldn’t help but smile along with her. It feels like the world to me to be a part of someone’s life and make them feel heard. That moment reminded me that sometimes, giving someone your attention and kindness is just as important as the work you’re doing.
Compliments matter because they tell us that what we’re doing is noticed, that we aren’t invisible. They are like small rays of sunshine, always brightening up someone’s day. And that’s why I try to give them out more too. If I like someone’s outfit, I tell them. If I’m grateful for someone’s kindness, I say it. Because I know how much those words can mean.
Maybe that’s the real deal: compliments don’t cost anything, but they can be priceless to the person receiving them.
~Aarya Godse
9/13/25
Comments
Post a Comment