One Conversation, A New Perspective

 



One Conversation, A New Perspective

Aarya Godse

6/29/2026


When I first reached out to Audrey Ou, a therapist who works with young adults, I wanted to learn more about psychology and mental health. What I did not expect was how much of our conversation would resonate with experiences that many students, including myself, go through every day. I want to give a big thank you to  Audrey Ou for taking time and speaking to me for this interview.


The Achievement Trap


One of the most important lessons I learned through this conversation was how achievement and emotional well-being can become disconnected. Many children are raised to prioritize education, success, and outward accomplishments because those achievements can create opportunities and are visible. While these values come from love and sacrifice, they can sometimes leave little room for conversations about anxiety, stress, depression and feelings. As a result, many students learn to focus on grades and accomplishments while ignoring their emotional needs. 

This disconnect of the brain and heart can be overcome, especially for the new generation by having reliable people to talk to like therapists and accepting their feelings. 


Anxiety Unpacked


Many teens, including me, go through anxiety so I wanted to learn more about why that may be and how to cope with that. I learned that anxiety does not disappear simply because we ignore it. Many people cope by distracting themselves or "stuffing down" difficult emotions, but this only makes the problem worse. Eventually, those feelings resurface in other ways. After hearing about this in the discussion it  made me realize how important it is to acknowledge emotions instead of pretending they do not exist. 


Beyond the Scroll


Our conversation also revolved around the things adolescents today struggle with. For example, social media is a constant "highlight reel" where people compare their everyday lives to the best moments of others. This comparison can create unrealistic expectations and lead to stress, insecurity, and anxiety. It reminded me that what we see online is often only a small bit of someone's reality. 


Lets Talk Mental Health


Many people struggle with anxiety and panic attacks but don’t understand what is happening, making it more frightening. I learned that in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM), there are names and descriptions of many mental health struggles people go through. Learning that their struggles are understood and treatable can help people move forward. This is a strong example of how proper education and awareness helps reduce stigma around mental health. T One of the biggest things we can do as a society is to talk more openly about mental health and its struggles and create a more comfortable environment. 


Power of Representation


I also learned about the importance of representation in this field. Having a therapist who understands a client's cultural background, immigrant experience, or experiences with discrimination can make it easier to build trust. Clients do not have to spend time explaining important parts of their identity because there is already an aspect of understanding built. This perspective helped me realize why diversity within psychology and mental health professions is so important. 


Advice for Today’s Teens


As someone interested in psychology, I asked what advice would be the best to give students who are interested in the field. For many, rather than focusing only on academic preparation, developing communication and listening skills through volunteer work is super important. Whether helping at a library, senior center, or community organization, these experiences allow people to practice empathy, active listening, and genuine connection which are skills that are essential for psychologists and therapists.

Seek Help- You Are Not Alone

Above all, I left the interview with a greater appreciation for the importance of vulnerability. Seeking help is not a sign of weakness but a sign of strength. By talking openly about mental health, today's generation is helping break cycles of silence and stigma. The  message was simple but powerful: no one has to struggle alone.

Psychology in Action

Academically, this interview deepened my understanding of many psychological concepts that I had only encountered in textbooks or articles. I learned how anxiety can develop and why suppressing emotions is not an effective coping strategy, because unresolved stress often resurfaces in other ways. I was introduced to the importance of clinical literacy, which is how having accurate psychological terminology, such as recognizing panic attacks or anxiety disorders, can help individuals understand that their experiences are legitimate and treatable rather than personal flaws. Additionally, I gained insight into the role of cultural understanding in therapy and why therapists who understand a client's cultural background can strengthen the therapeutic relationship. This helped me see how theory is applied in clinical practice and reinforced my interest in studying psychology.

One Last Takeaway

This interview taught me that mental health deserves the same attention and care as physical health. It also reinforced my interest in psychology because of its ability to help people better understand themselves and others. Most importantly, it reminded me that acknowledging our struggles, seeking support, and creating safe spaces for honest conversations can lead to meaningful change for future generations. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Deep Spiral

16 Lessons I Learned Turning 16

Beyond Just Psychology